Trump’s decision to allow Erdogan to move forward with the operation and to move US forces out of the area goes against efforts by US officials to dissuade Turkey from carrying out a military intervention.
“Any uncoordinated military operation by Turkey would be of grave concern as it would undermine our shared interest of a secure northeast Syria and the enduring defeat of ISIS,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Robertson said recently
This comes as a US official confirmed to CNN that the SDF had been informed that the US would not defend them from Turkey.
The SDF released a scathing statement Monday, accusing the US of “not abiding by their commitments” to avoid a military escalation.
“This Turkish military operation in northern and eastern Syria will have a large, negative impact on our war against ISIS and will destroy all the stability that has been accomplished over the past years,” the SDF statement said.