WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign threatened to sue CNN Friday over what they allege is biased reporting, a move opponents denounced as an attempt to intimidate the media in general.
“Never in the history of this country has a President been the subject of such a sustained barrage of unfair, unfounded, unethical and unlawful attacks by so-called ‘mainstream’ news, as the current situation,” said a letter to CNN from attorney Charles Harder, representing Trump and his campaign.
In a statement, CNN said that “this is nothing more than a desperate PR stunt and doesn’t merit a response.”
Attorneys said such a lawsuit, if filed, would go nowhere.
“Any such lawsuit, at least based on the statute specifically identified so far, is nothing more than a PR stunt designed to rev up the president’s political base,” said Bradley Moss, an attorney who specializes in national security and transparency issues.
Moss, who has done work for USA TODAY, said “facts and legal reality have no relation” to the threatened lawsuit.