1,500 more families were separated under Trump than previously known

New York — The government told a federal court on Thursday that more than 1,500 migrant families were forcibly separated by U.S. authorities before the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy was fully implemented, meaning a total of at least 4,300 families were separated before a judge ordered the administration to halt the controversial practice.

Complying with a court-approved demand from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to account for previously undisclosed family separations, the Trump administration told the U.S. district court in San Diego that it identified an additional 1,556 migrant children that it separated from their parents, according to the ACLU.

“Those are 1,600 hundred families we’ll now have to find and search all over the world for,” Lee Gelernt, the lead ACLU attorney in the ongoing litigation surrounding family separations, told CBS News in an interview on Thursday.

The ACLU does not know whether the newly identified 1,556 families have been reunited.

Article URL : https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1500-more-families-were-separated-under-trump-than-previously-known/ar-AAJjtP4?ocid=spartanntp

%d bloggers like this: