Secretary of State Mike Pompeo AFP via Getty Images
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the new information should be evaluated
- For days his agency had no comment after disclosures from Lev Parnas
- Giuliani associate provided texts that appeared to show surveillance of former U.S. ambassador Marie Yovanovitch
- Parnas says he took part in an effort to trash her and she was viewed as impediment to a Ukrainian probe of the Bidens
- ‘We will do everything we need to do to evaluate whether there was something that took place there’
Yovanovitch returned to Washington after being told in a late-night phone call to get on the next plane home for her own safety by the director general of the Foreign Service, according to witness testimony in the impeachment inquiry. The nature of any possible threat was not specified and remains unclear, although the Parnas documents suggest the surveillance was a prelude to some kind of action.
Robert Hyde, the Republican congressional candidate who exchanged text messages with Lev Parnas about the physical movements of Yovanovitch, claims he was drinking when he wrote about surveillance of her.
‘For them to take some texts my buddy’s and I wrote back to some dweeb we were playing with that we met a few times while we had a few drinks is definitely laughable. Schiff is a desperate turd playing with this Lev guy,’ he wrote