According to a 2006 Gallup poll some three quarters of Americans believe in some aspect of the paranormal. This poll showed little change from one in 2001 so it’s likely that it fairly represents current thinking.
- Extrasensory perception, or ESP 41%
- That houses can be haunted 37
- Ghosts/that spirits of dead people can come back in certain places/situations 32
- Telepathy/communication between minds without using traditional senses 31
- Clairvoyance/the power of the mind to know the past and predict the future 26
- Astrology, or that the position of the stars and planets can affect people’s’ lives 25
- That people can communicate mentally with someone who has died 21
- Witches 21
- Reincarnation, that is, The rebirth of the soul in a new body after death 20
- Channelling/allowing a “spirit-being” to temporarily assume control of the body 9
An analysis of the data shows that 73% of Americans believe in at least one of the items listed, while 27% believe in none of them.
Do you believe in any of these propositions?
Do you believe in any other paranormal activity?