A pneumonia outbreak was first reported in the city of Wuhan, central China’s Hubei Province in December. Experts have attributed the outbreak to a novel coronavirus that has since spread across China and abroad.
Here is what we know so far:
– Confirmed cases: 17,238 in China, 148 abroad
– Deaths: 361 in China, 1 abroad
– Recovered: Over 480
– Health experts warn of the risk of reinfection for the recovered
– Human-to-human transmission confirmed
– Level 1 emergency response activated in 31 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities on the Chinese mainland
The eleventh case of novel coronavirus confirmed in U.S.
The eleventh case of novel coronavirus has been confirmed in the U.S.; the two most recent infections were reported in San Benito County, California.
Local media reported the confirmed cases are a husband and wife, with the husband having recently traveled to Wuhan, in central China’s Hubei Province, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.
Earlier, the ninth case of coronavirus was confirmed in Santa Clara County. It’s the second case confirmed in the San Francisco area. The woman had reportedly traveled to Wuhan recently.