From the article:
Many people around the world looked on aghast as they witnessed the harm done by conspiracy theories such as QAnon and the myth of the stolen US election that led to the attack on the US Capitol Building on January 6. Yet while these ideas will no doubt fade in time, there is arguably a much more enduring conspiracy theory that also pervades America in the form of young Earth creationism. And it’s one that we cannot ignore because it is dangerously opposed to science.
Seriously. Up to 40% of American “adults” today actually think that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.
Young Earth Creationism is a conspiracy theory. And just as dangerous a one as what led to 4 years of Trump destroying America with the help and support of a lot of really stupid people. Or even the “plandemic” idea that Trump used for political gain with the aforementioned really stupid people.
It certainly meets all of the criteria…
1. Contradictory beliefs – there are numerous temporal contradictions in the Bible that make it impossible to consider it as an “infallible” historical record.
2. Overriding suspicion – any scientific evidence is deemed “fake” if it contradicts the initial unproven belief.
3. Nefarious intent – young earth creationists believe that Satan is challenging their “belief”
4. Conviction something’s wrong – even if one theory is sufficiently disproven, YECs will simply flip to cling to some other absurdity because they simply feel that “something’s wrong”.
5. Persecuted victim – YEC’s believe that they are under attack from the world and that their beliefs are “persecuted”.
6. Immunity to evidence – YEC’s do not want evidence. Even when given evidence they will insist it is “fake”.
7. Reinterpreting randomness – random events are reinterpreted to support an imaginary “design”.
What do you think?
Read more at The Conversation: