During a Friday speech to the National Education Association (NEA), President Joe Biden reiterated his jumbled claim about the speed at which AR-15 bullets move compared to bullets fired from other guns.
On August 30 Breitbart News reported Biden’s original claim that “the bullet out of an AR-15 travels five times as rapidly as a bullet shot out of any other gun.”
We pointed to a June 30 Field & Stream column on the “Five Fastest Rifle Cartridges” to show the falseness of the claim.
The Field & Stream column listed the feet per second (fps) the five fastest rifle cartridges travel when fired:
- .220 Swift — A 40-Grain .220 Swift round moves approximately 4,300 fps.
- .257 Weatherby Magnum — An 87-Grain .257 Weatherby Magnum round moves approximately 3,700+ fps.
- .30/378 Weatherby — An 165-Grain .30/378 Weatherby round moves approximately 3,400+ fps.
- .224 Clark — An 80-Grain .224 Clark round moves approximately 3,500+ fps.
- .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer — A 50-Grain .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer round moves approximately 4,600 fps.
By contrast, AR-15 rounds move at approximately 2,700 – 3,100 fps.
In Friday’s NEA speech Biden reiterated his claim that the AR-15 bullet moves faster than bullets from other guns.
He described the AR-15 as “a weapon of war” and said, “The speed of the bullet is five times that that comes out of the muzzle of most weapons.”