|The Breaking News feed is for posting and commenting on recent news or opinion articles.|
|The Religion feed is for posting and commenting on topics on or about Religion.|
|The opinion feed is for our Authors to publish original opinion pieces on a variety of topics.|
About our authors…
If you are a regular contributor and would like to be added as an Author in order to publish and edit your own posts (using the much more feature-rich article authoring tool in the backend) then please submit your request here. You will need to provide us with an email address for this, so please have something non-personal that you are willing to use for this purpose.
About our moderators/editors…
We have a team of moderators from mixed backgrounds, politics, countries, genders and beliefs. When we make moderation decisions, they are applied against the rules of engagement and not our personal bias. We are also volunteers; we do this for you! For the most part it is a thankless job and not without it’s rewards or frustrations. Every Disqus comment moderator is also an Editor on this site. They can approve, delete, and edit posts as necessary.
Rules of Engagement
- The Basic Rules for Disqus are enforced on BNR
- Advocating violence is not allowed on the forum and will be removed. Threats of harm towards anyone will be dealt with severely up to and including reporting to the authorities.
- The word “retard” (or any derivative like “libtard” or “contard”) is unacceptable on this forum and will be removed without explanation.
- Caveat: While “dotard” is not a derivative of “retard” it is still an insult that, although it may be used on public figures, may not be used on forum members.
- Derogatory or offensive comments about other disabilities are also not allowed.
- No insults or personal attacks
- against other posters (that includes attacking their families)
- against the moderators
- against non-political groups of people (religious, racial, gender, sexuality, etc).
- insulting political groups is allowed (except as indicated below)
- No racist, bigoted, homophobic, transphobic, mysogynistic, pedophilic, or incest comments.
- Insulting a politician or public figure is allowed so long as it does not break this rule.
- General bashing of lefties, righties, conservatives, liberals, Democrats, Republicans etc. is allowed so long as it does not break this rule
- Some examples of what is not allowed: homo, tranny, fag, n-words, cracker, calling an entire (non-political) group of people “mentally ill”, etc.
- No bashing posters for posting articles. You may bash the article or the source, BUT YOU MAY NOT BASH SOMEONE FOR POSTING IT. These submissions are the grist for the mill of this community. If a post truly bothers you so much then find a different thread to read. Or find an article that DOES interest you and post it yourself.
- English Only: This is an English only forum. Non-English posts or comments may be deleted at the moderator’s discretion.
- No copy and pasting lengthy paragraphs from sources as a comment (a link to the information, with a short description of where to look will be allowed).
- No promotions of any kind unless pre-approved by a moderator.
- No posting in ALL CAPS or all bold – this is considered rude in internet etiquette.
- No posting of the same meme/image more than once on a page.
- Moderators reserve the right to dial back excessive meme usage.
- Using another poster’s name/handle in a meme may at the discretion of the moderators be considered a personal attack.
- No images of death/gore, bloody/gory images, or any graphic images portraying the death of a human being or animal. This includes lynching images, whether real, historical, or even cartoon.
- No pornography or sexually explicit images.
- Moderators have discretionary authority over whether or not images are Not Suitable For Work (NSFW), offensive, or violate other community guidelines.
General Channel Rules
- No “sock puppets” (alternate accounts) with which you either engage with your own account or with which you circumvent a ban or any other moderator directive.
- No profane usernames or avatars please. Moderators may request a change if necessary.
- Do NOT abuse the flag feature on comments that do not break our community guidelines.
- No serial down-voting. Until and unless Disqus fixes their reputation system we will request that posters desist from this behavior upon request from a moderator.
- Please follow the directions of the moderators and move along if directed to do so.
- Discussions about mod decisions belong in our resolution channel The Den
- Comments regarding actions taken by moderators or events in our resolution channel may be removed at the discretion of the moderators.
- A moderator who is engaged as a regular comment poster in a conversation may not moderate in that conversation the person with whom they are engaged. This is to prevent any appearance of personal bias.
- This restriction applies just to that conversation, not to the whole page or elsewhere where the user has posted.
- A moderator may call upon another moderator to intervene if necessary.
- Any poster taking advantage of this rule in order to troll a moderator will be dealt with harshly.
- Please do not block the moderators
- Blocking a mod runs the risk of not receiving moderation direction from them, which may result in a ban.
- While we are not going to hunt you down to see if you are blocking us we WILL ban you if you indicate that you have done so, or if you do not respond to repeated attempts at moderation.
- Please note that if you are viewing Disqus on a mobile device that the Disqus platform neglects to indicate the mod tag for moderators. You will simply have to be aware of who the moderators are. They are listed in the footer section of this forum
- Attacking our mods (or our forum in general) will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with either then please bring it to our attention in our resolution forum The Den.
- Please follow the directions of the moderators and do not interfere in their moderation.
- If you feel the moderation is unfair then please refer to these guidelines. If you still think it is unfair then please start a RESPECTFUL thread on our complaint resolution channel:
2019/08/02 – created (TUS)
2020/04/04 – updated (Løki)
2020-07-04 – clarified rules about moderators modding conversations they are in (TUS)
2020-07-04 – added rule for usernames/avatars (TUS)
2020-08-14 – changed rules to bar misogynistic rather than sexist attacks (TUS)
2020-08-19 – clarified guideline on blood, gore, death images, and lynching imagery. (Loki)
2020-09-11 – added rule about bashing posters for posting articles (TUS)
2020-09-11 – reorganized and condensed some rules, added reference to Basic Rules (TUS)
2020-09-28 – added ‘no attacking CM families’ and added no ‘incest’ comments (Løki)
Follow Breaking News & Religion on Twitter: @BNdisqus