December 27, 2019, 12:52 PM PST
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is making President Donald Trump squirm.
- Pelosi’s refusal to transmit the articles of impeachment against Trump to the Senate has robbed the president of what he wants most: “total and complete exoneration” following a trial.
- Asked about Trump’s mind-set in recent days, one Republican strategist in frequent contact with the White House told Insider Trump was incensed about impeachment because he believes it undermines his political prowess.
- The strategist said Trump was angry because the allegations against him suggest “that he needs outside help to win an election, that he can’t do it on his own. And he thinks that’s bulls—.”
- A person who was close to Trump’s legal team during the Russia probe also told Insider the cascade of witness testimony, more than anything else, grated on the president’s nerves.
- “For a man who puts personal loyalty above everything else, this was something he never saw coming,” the person said. “He couldn’t stop them, so he decided to smear them, but at the end of the day, all he could do is sit back and watch it happen.”
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is doing to President Donald Trump what no one else has in the nearly three years since he took office: She’s making him squirm.
In the wake of an impeachment inquiry and with a looming trial in the Senate, the president has become increasingly frustrated by Pelosi’s unprecedented decision to withhold the two articles of impeachment against him from the upper chamber until Majority Leader Mitch McConnell guarantees a fair and impartial trial.
Pelosi’s refusal to transmit the articles of impeachment to the Senate has robbed the president of what he wants most: “total and complete exoneration” following a trial.
Trump, for his part, has made no secret of his fury. He spent Christmas evening ranting about Pelosi and impeachment to his 68 million Twitter followers.