- The murder rate for African Americans jumped 32 percent after the beginning of the pandemic
- The murder rate for whites increased 21 percent from 2019 to 2020
- 2,457 more blacks died at the hand of another in 2020 than the year before
- Over the decade between 2010 and 2019 43 percent more blacks were killed, roughly a 1000 more than whites each year
- Criminal justice experts blame criminal justice reform and the Black Lives Matter movement
- Some academic and police say that the increase in gun purchases and economic inequality bear some responsibility
The number of black Americans murdered in 2020 jumped by 32 percent – with an expert blaming BLM protests for the huge spike by scaring-off cops.
Killings across racial demographic have swelled by 30 percent between 2019 and 2020, the largest increase since 1905, but blacks have borne the larger impact of that deadly trend, according to the FBI‘s Uniform Crime report.
In 2020, 9,941 African Americans met their death at the hand of another human being, compared to 7,484 the year before, an increase of 2,457 murders.
Murders of whites jumped 21 percent from 2019 to 2020, from 5,787 to 7,043.
And Hannah Meyer, from think-tank the Manhattan Institute, says widespread ‘defund the police messaging’ further worsened the murder rate among black people.
She believes that the widespread ideology – combined with real cuts to multiple police departments – prompted cops to withdraw from policing areas with high crime, where lives could have potentially been saved.
Considering whites make up 76 percent of the U.S. population, according to the U.S. Census bureau, compared to the 13 percent black population, the trend is even more troubling.
Broken down over the 50 states, the data shows that those areas with the lowest black populations, like Montana and South Dakota, saw the number of murders climb more than 80 percent, according to FBI stats.
Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio and California murder rates all jumped at least 36 percent between 2019 and 2020. New York homicides jumped 47 percent.