The 6 measures that make up the Prevalence Ranking include:
- Adults with Any Mental Illness (AMI)
- Adults with Substance Use Disorder in the Past Year
- Adults with Serious Thoughts of Suicide
- Youth with At Least One Major Depressive Episode (MDE) in the Past Year
- Youth with Substance Use Disorder in the Past Year
- Youth with Severe MDE.
A ranking 1-10 for Prevalence indicates a lower prevalence of mental health and substance use issues compared to states that ranked 42-51.
According to SAMHSA, ìAny Mental Illness (AMI) is defined as having a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder, other than a developmental or substance use disorder. Any mental illness includes persons who have mild mental illness, moderate mental illness, and serious mental illness.”
19.00% of adults are experiencing a mental illness. Equivalent to over 47 million Americans.
7.67% of adults in America reported having a substance use disorder in the past year.
2.87% of adults in America reported having an illicit drug use disorder in the past year.
5.74% of adults in America reported having an alcohol use disorder in the past year.